Read our 2011 Christmas Letter here.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

uh-oh

In March, I  had this crazy idea that I would run a 5K this spring.  I was half-heartedly training for it - running on the treadmill because it was too warm to ski and too cold to bike.  Then, Madi committed to do it with me, and I figured I was off the hook - she wouldn't be able to run the whole time, and I could easily keep up with her.  Just fun times, bonding, and hopefully starting a tradition of exercising together.

So...I didn't really train much, and just started cycling instead.

Last night, the night before the event, was a bit of a turning point for me. I realized that the cold that Madi had been fighting had taken a turn for the worse, as she struggled for hours to fall asleep because of the coughing.  As much as she wanted to, she shouldn't go... but that didn't let me off the hook! I would be appointed to run it for the two of us.  Uh-oh.

Cue weather - I was able to calm myself with the weather forecast - 80% chance of thunderstorms.  No one is going to expect me to run in a thunderstorm, right?  I was comforted in the early hours by the sound of torrential rain.  I was able to fall back asleep, sound in the knowledge that I could back out with my pride intact.

When my alarm went off a little while ago, I opened up my laptop to check the weather maps.  Sure enough, pouring rain.  But when I checked the hourly forecast, it said that from 8 - 11am (the time of the event), there was only a 10% chance of rain.  In disbelief, I checked the radar maps - and sure enough, there is a huge break in the clouds.

%#!$.  Looks like I'm going to be running.  Check back later to read the gory details.

1 comment:

Clarinda said...

I'm excited to read how you did!

Post a Comment