He told me that, when ADD is controlled, any developmental delays caused by the brain imbalance tend to correct themselves, and kids act age appropriately. In Madi, this means increased independence and thinking for herself... and some foolish choices.
Did I mention that we started Sarah on ADD meds, too? Since she's been having real attention issues at school -it was worth a shot. It's too soon to tell, but this is the sight that I came upon in the bathroom on Monday morning (day 3 of meds):
Yes, Sarah cut her own hair. Is there a child who doesn't do this at some point? Granted, for most kids it occurs around age 2 or 3, not 14... and for the record, I do NOT keep scissors in their bathroom - she had to go searching for them.
When asked why she did this, she replied (most reasonably) that it was hanging in her eyes and bothering her. I asked her why she took it off at the roots, but got a blank stare on that one.
So, it does seem that the meds are bringing out the "true child" in each of them. Heaven help me, I hope I'm ready.

No comments:
Post a Comment