But, Sarah's been on an oatmeal kick lately, and we were almost out of oatmeal. The only other oatmeal I found was this:
I love this stuff - it's super yummy - but I always forget that it's in the cupboard. Looking at the box got me wondering... can you make cookies with flavored instant oatmeal?
A quick trip to Google reveals that you can! The original recipe is from a website that I have never heard of or visited before today, and it's not even a recipe website. Ah, the magic of the internet.
Here is my version of the recipe. Oh, so yummy! Since I'm on a chocolate & cherry kick lately, I threw in some chocolate chips. I'm betting that you could add almonds, too, and they would be divine.
Cherry Almond Oatmeal Cookies
Ingredients:
1/2 c. Butter, Softened (1 Stick)
1/4 c. Granulated Sugar
1/2 c. Light Brown Sugar
1 Egg
1 T. Milk
1/4 t. Baking Powder
1/2 t. Baking Soda
1 c. Flour
6 Packets Of Cherry Almond Instant Oatmeal
1/2 c. Butter, Softened (1 Stick)
1/4 c. Granulated Sugar
1/2 c. Light Brown Sugar
1 Egg
1 T. Milk
1/4 t. Baking Powder
1/2 t. Baking Soda
1 c. Flour
6 Packets Of Cherry Almond Instant Oatmeal
1/2 c. chocolate chips (white chocolate would be good, too)
1/3 c. dried cherries, chopped fine
Directions:
The day before: cream the butter and sugars. Combine the egg and milk, and add to the creamed mixture.
In a small bowl mix baking powder, baking soda, and flour. Add slowly to the butter mixture a little at a time and beat to incorporate. Add in the packets of oatmeal, chopped cherries, and chocolate chips and mix to combine.
For best results, refrigerate the dough for at least 4 hours; preferably overnight. If you can't wait, the cookies will still be delicious, but much flatter.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto a non-stick cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Space them farther apart if the dough is unchilled to avoid a unicookie.
Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Yields about 2 dozen cookies.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto a non-stick cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Space them farther apart if the dough is unchilled to avoid a unicookie.
Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Yields about 2 dozen cookies.


1 comment:
I don't particularly care for anything cherry, but it would be fun to experiment with other flavors of instant oatmeal. Thanks for the great idea. Just what I need another cookie recipe. Eating cookies is my weakness. Well, one of my weaknesses.
Post a Comment