Read our 2011 Christmas Letter here.

Friday, November 4, 2011

The Ducks ARE the Most Valuable Thing!

I posted yesterday about Sarah's joy at earning 11 rubber ducks during her school's magazine sale.  I have to admit that I was slightly condescending about the whole thing; the ducks are worth about $10 at most, and cost just pennies to produce in some Chinese factory.  I saw them as just another chunk of childhood clutter.  I thought the other prizes that she won were more valuable.

Oops.

In addition to the indescribable value they have to her - she wears them everywhere, including to bed - it turns out that they are worth a lot of cold, hard cash in the world of the magazine sale.

I got an excited call on my answering machine this morning from her teacher, saying that they had good news to share, and they would call back.  Well, they never did, but a very happy Sarah came home from school today and shoved an envelope at me, exclaiming "I won MONEY!"

Correction - she won LOTS of money.

From what I am able to figure out (Sarah's hazy on the details), she was called down to the main office, where she had won the "5-bucks-a-duck" promotion.  Perhaps it was because she was wearing them (the flyer proclaims "wear your ducks to school and have a chance to win cash and prizes!"), but those eleven ducks earned her $55.  It gets better - since she had turned in her postcard booklet on time, they doubled it.  Those ducks netted her $110!

That's a lot of cash for a middle schooler, but it won't even put a dent into her 1900+ item Amazon wish list.  :)

So, I stand corrected - the ducks ARE the most valuable thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment