Read our 2011 Christmas Letter here.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ditzy, Dizzy, or Lightheaded?

I love my youngest daughter terribly.  She is a wonderful person with a tremendous heart.  But seriously, sometimes she can be seriously... blonde.  (I'm allowed to make blonde jokes; I used to be one, naturally speaking)  As such, I often take what she says with a grain of salt.

She's been complaining of being "dizzy" since the beginning of February, so for about a month now.  I took her in to the doctor on the 9th, and he diagnosed her with a mild cold.  Needless to say, she didn't get to stay home.  But every day since then, it's the first thing she says when she wakes up.  "Mom, I'm dizzy."

Practical one that I am, I watch for signs of imbalance, and see none.  Off to school!  Finally on the 28th, she combines it with a sore throat, and I let her stay home, since her sister is home with a bad cold also (the day is already ruined, right?)

As the day progresses, she complains of black spots in front of her eyes.  She gets them several times a day, and sometimes, she says, they get so big that they obscure her vision, and she walks into walls.  What??  Further discussion reveals that this has been going on for weeks!  When I ask her why she didn't tell me, she says that I would make her go to school anyway... (she has definitely inherited the guilt gene).

So, I took her to the doctor today, and he suspected that she was dehydrated, based on her sitting, standing, and laying blood pressure/heart rate stats.  He prescribed LOTS of water.  To be thorough, he also ordered a hearing test to check for any loss.  As he was leaving, he said that the test would likely come back normal, and if so, the water's the trick.  If there was loss, then he wanted an MRI to check her ears and brain.

Well, there is a hearing loss, so she's scheduled for an MRI in two days.  I'm trying hard to not be scared.  

No comments:

Post a Comment