Read our 2011 Christmas Letter here.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Playing with Fire

So I just spent the last 15 minutes in the bathroom with my youngest, literally playing with fire.  More accurately, I was teaching her the safe way to light a match.  Included were topics like proper lit match angle (anyone who's held a lit match point down for a few seconds knows what I'm talking about...), relative flammability (counter versus tissue - that was a fun demo), and how to properly dispose of hot matches.  She has additional safety concerns with that long hair, so we covered all of that.

Turns out she had experimented a bit on her own, but realized she was in over her head, and asked for help learning how to light a candle.  We talked about how dangerous it can be to try it without an adult, and how she can always come to us if she wants to try.  We would really rather that she not burn the house down.

She's gotten to the point where she doesn't freak out when the match is lit (the first time she successfully lit a match she was so shocked she threw it in the air, at me) and can actually hold the flaming match for a while before blowing it out.

So many parenting things that I just. never. thought. I. would. teach!  But, better me than a fellow 9 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment