Read our 2011 Christmas Letter here.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sniffing out an answer

OK, strange title, I know, for a post about my sore throat - but it's related, I promise.

I've had a sore throat on one side only every day since around Feb 25th. After about 3 weeks of waiting for it to turn into something, I went to see the doctor, who told me that everything looked fine. They did a throat culture, and since the strep test was negative, she sent me to an ENT (ear, nose, throat doctor).

It took about a week to get into see the ENT, but the pain has been really minor - more of an annoyance in the morning and evening, really - so it wasn't that big a deal. I knew that during the appointment, they'd use some equipment to look down my throat, so I knew that I couldn't take the kids with me. Madilyn would probably think the scope was cool, but the whole experience would be too much for Sarah to bear.

Boy, was I glad they didn't come! Ugh! It was almost too much for ME to bear! I was picturing something down my throat, via the expected route... not via my NOSE. My eyes watered so prolifically the entire procedure I had rivers running down my cheeks. Luckily, it was pretty quick.

So... was he able to sniff out an answer? Nope. My throat looks fine. I was really hoping for a benign polyp or something they could just snip off, giving me a cause and solution, all in one. But, no, my throat looked just fine; no sign of anything. He walked through all the scenarios with me, but it basically boils down to - just wait 2 or 3 months, and come back if it's still hurting. He assured me that it wasn't anything serious. I'm fine with that - as I said, the pain is not that bad, but a little closure would have been nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment