Read our 2011 Christmas Letter here.

Monday, January 11, 2010

On my skis again - finally!

So in December it finally snowed enough for some cross country skiing around here, and so I promptly left town for two weeks for the holidays. During that time, I was tortured by my BFF's constant posts on Facebook about her skiing adventures with her family. Fueled by envy, I came back to town, determined to strap on the skis and head out... only to be faced with bone-chilling temperatures. Even I am not crazy enough to ski when it's -20 outside.

But today! Finally! I (unintentionally) tore my way-too-dedicated-to-her-studies friend Kate away from her books by declaring that I was going skiing solo. In retrospect, I should have known that she was too much of a worrier to let me go alone, but I guess I was a bit stir-crazy... Anyway, she introduced me to a new local place, Pine Point Park Reserve.

Trails were great, and we had an awesome time! It does bother me a bit that she is able to talk non-stop while we ski, while I struggle to keep my breathing even, but hopefully by the end of the season I will have gotten in better shape, and our treks will be a workout for both of us. For now, I'm grateful that she considers me good company.

Here's us before the final downhill. I must say that there were a couple of downhills where I gained enough speed and momentum to solidify my resolve to NEVER go downhill skiing. If I ended up on my posterior in a snowbank at such low speeds, I can only imagine the horrific snowball I'd make on an actual slope. I'm sticking with the Nordic, thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so very glad that you got me to go out! It was totally worth doing! I want to know what I did karmically though that the week you got back and my semester hadn't started - it was too cold to ski; but now that the semester has started - I'm having a stress week with the boys allergies to add on top of the already heavy course load and the temps are phenomenal??? While I don't wish a sick child on you, I'm kind of glad you are stuck home too! Isn't that sweet! *grin*

Sorry if I talked too much! I think it would take a lot more than skiing to get me to shut-up! *grin*

~Kate

Laura said...

It was more the fact that you COULD talk... I was trying not to huff and puff...

Anonymous said...

I heard absolutely no huffing or puffing - so you hid it well! From my viewpoint, you looked and sounded great! I'd ski with you everyday just how you are! ~Kate

Post a Comment