Sarah had her (first and) final choir concert of the year tonight. (She missed the winter concert because it happened on the day that her school iPad hit the ground and shattered... demolishing Sarah in the process. It was quickly replaced, but Sarah simply was not up to performing that night.)
We were so proud of her! There was no aide provided, so for the first time, Sarah was performing on her own. She did great!
I have to admit that I was a little worried about how she would do, but ended up being extremely impressed. She sang most of the songs, which was a big deal in itself. I do have to admit that there were a few behaviors that made her stand out from her classmates. Probably the most noticeable was that she clapped as if she was in the audience at the end of each song, which was actually kind of adorable. She caught herself, though, after only 2 or 3 claps each time, and then put her hands down and stood quietly while the audience applauded. I also noticed that by the fourth song in their set, she had started swiveling side to side with the beat. It wasn't too bad, and it kept her standing in her spot and quiet.
Because of her position onstage, Sarah was set to lead the entire choir offstage to return to their seats in the audience. She's not the fastest mover when left to her own pace, and the choir teacher wanted to make sure we didn't end up with a 15 minute interlude while Sarah meandered. This meant that at the end of the 7th grade set, I came onstage and helped her make her exit, since I'm pretty experienced at keeping her moving. :)
Since I didn't know I'd be doing this, can I tell you how glad I was that I had dressed up for the event? When their choir returned to stage to join the 8th graders for the final number, I had to lead her from one side of the stage to the other. I felt silly, but Gary said that I looked like I belonged there, as Sarah's aide. I choose to believe him.
Sarah did great on the final combined number, and when I met her backstage, she was as pumped up as the other performers were after a great performance. It was fun to see her having a good time in a group setting.
We ended the evening with Cold Stone Creamery treats before heading home, tired and happy.


No comments:
Post a Comment