My favorite Christmas song is, hands down, "O Holy Night".
If I actually listen to the song, there is no way for me to avoid crying in some way. Depending on the artist, it may be anything from just tearing up to full-on sobbing. (Josh Groban, April 2009, when on the treadmill working out. Seriously. I was simultaneously breathing hard, crying, and snuffling in the middle of April while listening to my iPod. It was so not pretty.)
And it's not something that only happens in private. One of my most embarrassing memories is, as a newlywed, being at a women's meeting at church with my mother-in-law. There was a soloist who beautifully sang "O Holy Night", and I could NOT stop weeping. Turn on the taps, tears streaming down my face, weeping. It was all I could do to just keep quiet, and all I kept thinking was "My mother-in-law now knows that her son married a complete nutcase!" People in the room were staring at me, not the soloist. Sigh.
And still, 14 Christmases later, the song still gets to me. Every single time. I want them to play it at my funeral. With my luck, I'll die in August, but hey... everybody already knows I'm crazy.
No comments:
Post a Comment