Sarah had her final endocrinologist appointment today, and we've officially discontinued the growth hormone injections. Sarah's final height appears to be 4'7", and frankly, she's not happy about it.
She doesn't really understand why the medicine won't make her grow anymore, and was just inconsolable as we were walking out of the office. I tried to explain that the medicine only works if your body is still growing on its own, and that her body is all done. She didn't want to be all done!
Me, I was just fuming as we left the office. In his closing comments, he said "well, it would have worked better if we had started earlier." OH! Like when I first came to you a year before we started the injections????!!! (insert lots of unladylike comments here) I had to pester and whine to even get him to consider it, he was the one that kept telling me to wait. Oh, how I wish I had listened to my gut and not my head (he's supposedly the best pediatric endocrinologist in the cities).
I think he now believes that growth hormone can be effective in kids with genetic disorders, but unfortunately, no one will benefit. He's retiring in March. I've learned a lesson, though - listen to your gut, and get a second opinion, because doctors are people too, and can be biased.
The school of life is way harder than college ever was, and the stakes are so much higher. I just wish I didn't need to learn the lessons at my kids' expense. Oh well, I guess they'll be learning lessons at my (literal) expense someday, so it's all a big karmic circle.
No comments:
Post a Comment