Read our 2011 Christmas Letter here.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

PT conferences: Sarah

Tonight I went in for parent/teacher conferences. Sarah is doing well, and we mostly discussed her transition to middle school next year. I am worried that it will be a bit of a shock to her system... she's SO excited about the change, but I know she doesn't realize how different things will be. One example, as we drove past the middle school:

Sarah: "Where is the playground?"
Mom: "Middle school doesn't have a playground. There are fields for soccer, tennis, and baseball, but no playground equipment."
Sarah: "How can they swing at recess?" (Sarah swings every day)
Mom: "They don't have recess at middle school, honey."
long silence.
Sarah: "When do they swing?"
Mom: "They don't swing."
long, long silence.
Sarah: "Can I still swing at the park?"
Mom, relieved that she has come up with a solution: "Yes, of course!"

Since I don't have the best memories of middle school (does anyone?), I'm worried for her. But, I'm not doing her any favors by protecting her - it's better that she learns how to deal with things while she's still at home. I keep chanting that mantra - hopefully soon I'll believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment