Madilyn is doing great in first grade. She's an amazing reader - she's reading at 3rd grade level! She's above average in both reading and math, and her only real problem is her tendency to prefer socializing to working.
But, it wouldn't be a conference without a black/white reference: Mrs. C commented that Madilyn has a hard time accepting problems that have more than one right answer, or more than one right way to do them. She just can't seem to wrap her head around that concept.
What am I doing to my poor kids?? I've always leaned toward black & white myself (gray can be SO confusing!) but I didn't realize the consequences were so far-reaching. My daughter is brought to tears by a geometry problem that has more than one answer! Sigh. I must have skipped a chapter in the parent handbook.
Oh, wait. I didn't get a parent handbook. Who do I talk to about that? Life would be so much easier if they came with instruction manuals... but instead I'm just makin' it up as I go!
No comments:
Post a Comment