Read our 2011 Christmas Letter here.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I HATE Cheese!

Yes, it's true.  I really, honestly, do HATE cheese.

My lactose intolerance makes it easier for people to accept that I don't like cheese, but the truth is that I honestly have never cared for it, even when I could eat it without severe gastrointestinal distress.  It is true that there are a few exceptions - pizza (which is actually common amongst the few fellow cheese haters I found via Googling), cream cheese, and Kraft Mac & Cheese (admittedly, it's a stretch to call that neon orange goop "cheese").

The informal data gathered while trying to develop weekly meal plans indicates that I am, at least within the Americas, a statistical improbability.

Now, before you rush to tell me all about the dairy-free options available at oh-so-many websites, let me tell you - I've looked.

They ALL assume that, even though you can't eat real cheese, you WANT cheese dishes.  Lactose-free cookbooks are filled with recipes "faking" cheese.

Case-in-point:  My sister gave me a link to a great website with a fantastic title: MommyHatesCooking.com  Just the title made me feel at home.  A meal plan from her would be perfect for my aversion to the kitchen!  I paid for the dairy-free, egg-free, and nut-free 4 week plan, and downloaded it, giddy with anticipation.  Here are some of the main dishes I found:

Eggplant Parmesan
Beef Stroganoff
Pizza
Chicken Tetrazzini
Lasagna
Chicken with Cream Cheese
Tacos
Baked Rice with Cheese
Veggie Primavera

So, 9 out of 28 main dishes are cheese substitutes.  Many of the lunch and breakfast options are the same.  Yes, I can substitute other things for these meals, but that kinda negates the whole "pre-planned with a shopping list" convenience.

Googling "Asian weekly meal plans" yielded better results - lots more recipes, but still not the "here's what you buy and here's what you make for a week" simplicity that I crave, not to mention simplified cooking.

A big caveat to this is, of course, vegan recipe websites, which don't use any animal products. Amazingly enough, however, they, too assume that you want to taste "cheesy goodness", just without any animals being involved.

I just want to develop meal plans that are conventional enough that my kids will actually eat them, but are not cheese-centric.

I wonder if there's a market for a product like this, or if I'm just WAY off the bell curve.  Anyway, thanks for letting me rant.  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment