About 6 years ago, I painted the living room. At the time, I had no money for art on the walls. I bought two picture frames at Ikea, and vowed that I would find posters for them. In the mean time, I took out some craft paints, swirled them around on the back of the sheet of paper that came in the frame, and called it "art". Here is one of the frames:
Embarrassingly, this "art" has stayed in that frame until today, when I decided that I had to find something to put in those frames! I spent 2.5 hours on the internet, trying to find posters I liked, with no success.
I was so frustrated, I decided to try my hand at art again.
Here's my supply list:
- 2 Ikea posters purchased on clearance a few years ago and never used
- 1 gallon of brown paint purchased for $5 from the mis-tint bin because I loved the color
- Foam paint roller
- Colored sand from an old sand-art kit (to texture the paint)
- Black and cream-colored scrapbook paper
- Circle punches
- Scissors
- Glue stick
I was able to create a cool mottled effect with the roller, cut the leaves and stems freehand from the paper, and glued the pieces in place. If you look at it up close, it does resemble an art project, but hey, it should buy me another few years. It's less embarrassing than what I had before, and cost me nothing but time.
Only problem - The plexiglas in the frame glares terribly with dark artwork, so I may have to invest in some anti-glare glass. Still, the cost is minimal, and the satisfaction of getting something off my list is great!
Update - my kids came home and declared they hate the new art. Sigh.

4 comments:
Nice work. Is it signed?
LOL! Not a chance...
You are so talented and creative...I loved what was up before, but these are awesome and would fit in perfect at my house :)!!!!
@Karen - just unleash me with some paper and glue next time I come home... we'll see what happens!
BTW - I solved the glare problem - took the plexi out of the frames. They actually have a cool canvas-y look without it.
Post a Comment