Read our 2011 Christmas Letter here.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Trip to the Principal's Office

So... the three of us are driving home from picking up Sarah after her "hang out and do stuff" club at school, and she announces that she was sent to the principal's office today. What??? Here's a rough transcript:

S: "I had to go to the principal's office today. I was very bad."

L: "Really? What did you do?"

S: "I spit."

L: "You spit? Why did you spit?"

S: "I spit on the floor."

L: "Well, that's not OK. But WHY did you spit? What happened?"

S: silence. "I was bad."

L: "What made you spit?"

S: "I spit."

L: giving up on trying to figure out "why", because I NEVER get an answer on that one... "What happened when you went to the principal's office? What did he say?"

S: "I shouldn't spit." (OK, I guess I should have seen that one coming)

L: "Do you have a punishment? What happens next?"

S:"I won't spit on the floor anymore."

L: "Well, that's good. But there must be consequences. What do you think your punishment should be?" (Now, at this point, I'm not willing to commit to anything, because I don't even know if this story is even true. My girl has a hazy line between fiction and reality...)

S: "I do not know." (Default answer for anything she doesn't want to answer. Again, could have seen that one coming...)

L: "Well, I'm going to have to think about this, and we'll decide your punishment later." (At this point, I'm thinking... I'm SO going to open her backpack the minute we get home and verify all of this...)

Long story short, I couldn't find confirmation of this incident anywhere in her bag, nor online (all school records are online), but Sarah and I decided that no TV the next day would be an appropriate punishment.

I emailed her teacher, who then related the true story... Sarah didn't spit on the floor, she spit on another student! (no reason, no provocation). Then, after announcing that she was bad, she spit on the floor. She declared to the teacher that she was very naughty, and insisted that she had to go to the principal's office. Apparently, all of the staff were trying to keep a straight face as Sarah wailed about how naughty she was. She actually broke into tears on the way down to the principal's office, and her para turned her around to bring her back to the classroom (boo). Her teacher said, "Nope. She needs to go." and marched her down there (YAY!). So, Dr. Schmidt got a chance to lecture Sarah on not spitting, and she was free to go.

Sigh. What a drama queen. I have no doubt that this was all orchestrated by her, and I'm left with the question that always goes unanswered....WHY??

No comments:

Post a Comment