Read our 2011 Christmas Letter here.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Kings vs. Saint Nick

Our ward decided this year that the Christmas party should be more spiritual, and good ol' Santa was given the boot in favor of the Three Kings (Caspar, Melchior, and Balthasar). As someone who is normally in favor of a return to canon and away from commercialism, I had mixed feelings about this. I supported the move toward recognizing the Savior, but dreaded telling the kids. Because we don't get out to the mall to visit Santa, the party is really their only time with the "big guy". I was grateful, however, that I learned of the situation before the party, so that I could prepare the kids.

Sarah was beyond appalled. "WHERE is Santa??!!" she wanted to know. "WHY won't he come?" It took a lot of work to calm her down. Madilyn was much more laid back about the situation - "Will we still get presents?" was her only concern.

So, we attended the party with Sarah still expressing great concern over the health and general well-being of Santa. I was hopeful for a spiritual experience, centered on Christ's birth. What we got was a holiday office party, nary a mention of the Savior, and three guys wrapped in colorful shawls delivering snowmen and penguin goody bags filled with Santa (!) straws, jingle bells, and candy.

Although festive and fun, in the end it just seemed like someone with a grudge against St. Nick had ejected him from a standard-issue Christmas party and put the Wise Men in his place. Not a wise move at all.

During the meal, Sarah turned to me and asked "Will Santa come here next year?"

I hope so, sweetie, I sure hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment