Read our 2011 Christmas Letter here.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Hard Choices

So today was another fabulous ski day, but, much as it hurt, I didn't strap on the skis. Instead, I was caught up in a buying frenzy. I haven't spent any money (yet) but burned away a whole afternoon figuring out how I could...

I don't know much about this new sport I've adopted, but I've found a ski shop that does, and is willing to give advice. When I found out that I could get skis at half-off retail through my wonderful brother-in-law
insert shameless plug: When in Utah, rent your alpine gear at Ski 'N See! Awesome people, awesome stores! www.skinsee.com
I went to FinnSisu to get sizing and fit advice. After confirming that I should be skiing a 198cm ski (my current skis are 167 cm... can you say SHORT?) and that the skis I was considering were appropriate, I asked about boots and bindings.

Turns out, I've been under the mistaken impression that the ski was the most important component of the whole skiing experience. The boots are the most important, followed by the bindings! I guess a good boot is the difference between your skis spending time on the trail or gathering dust in the closet. He recommended finding a boot I like first, rather than the other way around.

Finding a boot in February during a good, snowy Minnesota winter is, well, tough. Almost impossible. I came close enough at Joe's (Sporting Goods) to know I'm on the right track, and I'm heading off to REI tomorrow to try on what may be the last pair of size 7.5 Salomon ski boots left in the Twin Cities.


The Holy Grail of my quest... the Siam 7 Pilot CF. (picture via www.gearwest.com)

Wish me luck! I'm just hoping that I can make it back in time to hit the trails before school gets out.

No comments:

Post a Comment