It's Friday morning, and both kids need a bath before school. This announcement is met with groans and moans.
Sarah opens the volley by telling her sister "You go first."
"No, you go!" Madilyn responds.
"I do not want to go."
At this point, I declare "Someone's got to go. I'm going upstairs right now to start the bath."
As I turn and begin climbing the stairs, I hear Sarah say "I'll go first."
Madilyn quickly responds with "NO! I'll go first. Mom! I'm coming!!" and passes me running up the stairs.
I turn around to see Sarah settle back into her chair with a small smile and quietly say to herself "OK, I'll stay here."
This might sound like a fairly commonplace sibling exchange, but that is EXACTLY the point! And even if it makes me a bad parent, I am proud of my oldest for shamelessly manipulating her younger sister.
No comments:
Post a Comment