Sarah SpotlightSarah is 3 3/4 years old this Christmas! She's 39" tall, weighs about 30 lbs., and is just a happy little camper.
Health-wise, Sarah is great. She's running, learning to jump on the trampoline, and once a year takes therapeutic horseback riding. She's talking a lot more, and we have come to learn that she understands far more than she lets on...
After a rocky start, Sarah has decided that she loves preschool. It's 4 days a week, and she rides the bus. It's a reverse-mainstreaming program, that has both special needs kids as well as peer models. She is making incredible progress - this year, Sarah's biggest accomplishment is probably her improvement in social skills. She is making eye contact, can be around other kids without crying, attends Nursery without one of us there, and is learning to be sensitive to others. She's finally decided that giving kisses is OK, and so if you ask, she'll slobber one on you. (We love it.)
We were actually relieved when Sarah was diagnosed as PDD-NOS (an autism spectrum disorder) this fall. It means that she qualifies for programs both in the school and here in the community, and so we'll finally be able to get the help and support we need to deal with some of her unusual behaviors. We're currently signed up for a 3 week autism training course - 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for the whole family. It should be a great help. If you're interested in learning more about autism/PDD, check out this website.
Daddy's Doings
Daddy earned himself a new nickname on the Utah deer hunt this October. Seems the men had just stopped the Jeep at a new spot when Gary spotted a buck. He jumped out, positioned himself for the shot, released the gun's safety, pulled the trigger, and ...click. Apparently, guns are more effective with a shell in the chamber. No buck, and now his CB handle is "Click".
Gary's still with 3M and he still travels... when he's home, he's busy with his church calling as Executive Secretary to the Bishop, or finishing the basement with whichever visiting relative he roped into service. If the visitors keep coming, he should have it finished soon!!
Once again, Gary led the P--- Packing Company into uncharted waters with the introduction of jams to round out the product line. This year saw the debut of strawberry, blueberry, blueberry lime, and peach jam. The blueberry had to be re-marketed as "topping", since it was a little too soupy to qualify as "jam", but it cleared our shelves quickly anyway! All in all, a good year for gardening and canning.
Mommy's Meanderings
I've had lots of opportunities to improve my computer skills... I was called as the Relief Society secretary at church, and I publish the weekly bulletin as well as the annual handbook. Starting next year, we'll be publishing online at www.squeakertimes.com. At this point, my web publishing experience is ZERO, so I guess I better learn fast! Visit our site anytime, but don't expect much until February or later. Maybe by then I'll have things figured out. I hope.
This year I bought a Handspring Visor (handheld organizer). It's great at letting me organize all the data that seems to clutter my life. I even persuaded my sister to do the same. Now I can't live without it.
I did some "crafty" things this year, and completed a baby quilt (with help from my mom & sister), diaper stacker, and dust ruffle. Hopefully I'll finish the crib bumper before my newborn nephew turns two...! I also did some personal and household redecorating (new haircut / painting our room & bathroom). Next year, the basement!
Family FoiblesTravels this year included Michigan and Utah (no surprise). In February, Sarah stayed with Grandma & Grandpa K--- and Mom accompanied Dad on a business trip to Vermont. It was a great get-away.
This Christmas, Sarah and I volunteered for a shift as Salvation Army bell ringers at a local grocery. Sarah lasted the first hour, and I finished out the final hour alone. I must admit, donations were MUCH higher when she was ringing the bell!
Merry Christmas to all!
Gary, Laura, and Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment